Our church maintains two cemeteries, a much older one opposite 14 Tomac Ave, which is located just south of where our oldest church building was, and the newer one located next to the current church building on 108 Sound Beach Ave. Both cemeteries are now on free self-guided audio tours. Click here.
Please contact Wendy Spezzano, Cemetery Manager, (203) 637-1791 ext 814, Email with any cemetery questions.
The Tomac Historic Burying Ground (aka Old Sound Beach Cemetery or Tomac Cemetery) is about one acre and has burials from 1718 to 1904. There were probably earlier burials, but there were no engraved headstones for these – only plain fieldstones. Tomac Burying Ground is listed on the State Register of Historic Places. It is opposite 14 Tomac Ave, with its rear end bordering the Innis Arden Golf Club.
- Click HERE to see a spreadsheet list of the names of those buried there, and click on the plot value for any person to jump to the map of plots.
- Click HERE for a Research Paper about the history of Tomac Historic Burying Ground and the gravestone restoration project in the 1990s. (There was also a small cemetery in the Shorelands part of Old Greenwich, which is no longer there and there are no records of who was buried there.)
- Find Tomac burials and headstone photos on Findagrave. (Note – not all memorials listed there are verified with actual headstones or burial data.)
The Sound Beach Avenue Cemetery, just south of our church, is about four acres and has burials that began around 1835, when the church bought that farmland. Most of the plots in the main part of this cemetery are sold and hold about 3,960 interments. Plots in the Columbarium (cremations only) are still available. In early 2023, a Peace Pole was placed in the center of the Columbarium as a tribute to staff member Rosemary Lamie upon her retirement after about 20 years here. Thanks to Peter Grunow for the spring flowers around it.
The large bush in the center was removed, which uncovered a very large rock. In 1978 Harold Pruner analyzed it and found that it contained over 80 minerals! It was then dubbed the “Rock of Ages.”
Find some main cemetery burials and headstone photos on Findagrave.
|The Peace Pole in the Columbarium, dedicated April 9, 2023 to Rosemary Lamie. The language captions read top to bottom and left to right. Click to enlarge.|
|Rock of Ages in the Columbarium|