As its name implies, this is a great fall gathering, held in mid-September, where people who have been scattered for the summer return to the church. After the 10 am service, an annual Homecoming Picnic is held on the front lawn where people reunite and reconnect with each other.
Harvest Sunday takes place on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. It is a festival service in which we celebrate and give thanks for the bountiful gifts of God. During the service we receive a special offering including gifts of canned foods to be given to an outreach program the church sponsors in Maine as well as Neighbor-to-Neighbor, a local food pantry.
Advent and Christmas
Advent is a season in the Christian calendar that anticipates the birth of Christ. During this time, advent candles are lit by members of the congregation as we prepare for the coming of God in the person of Jesus. On Christmas Eve, there are four services. The first three have offerings of white gifts* and/or money for needy children. (* Wrapped in white paper to symbolize snow.)
- At 10 am, there is a Children’s Service especially designed for younger children and their families, with a live nativity pageant.
- At 3 pm, there is a Family Service with “Once in Royal David’s City” pageant and Children’s Choir.
- At 6 pm, there is a Festival Carol Service with Brass Ensemble and Chancel Choir, and the “Once in Royal David’s City” pageant.
- At 9 pm, there is a beautiful Candlelight Service with Communion and Youth/Alumni Choir, and harp.
- There is no service on Christmas Day unless it falls on a Sunday.
Holy Week and Easter
- On Ash Wednesday morning we hold Ashes to Go, where our pastors bless you and place ashes on your forehead on the side driveway while you remain in your car.
- A Palm Sunday Service is held at 10 am the Sunday before Easter.
- On Maundy Thursday, people gather for a special dinner at 6 pm in the Auditorium followed by a Tenebrae Service in the Sanctuary at 7:30 pm.
- On Good Friday, there is a Service of Music and Meditations beginning at 8 pm.
- Also on Good Friday, at noon, the senior high young people carry a cross to Greenwich Point for use during the Sunrise Service on Easter morning.
- We hold an Easter Sunrise Service at Greenwich Point beginning just before sunrise.
- There are two Easter Services held in the Meetinghouse on Easter Sunday, one at 9 am and one at 11 am.
Church School Recognition Sunday, held in early June, is a service in which the church acknowledges the participation of the children and teachers in the Church School. Third graders receive Bibles during the service.
Held in May, confirmands are made full members of our church during this worship service.
Music and Friendship Sunday
Music Sunday, our annual worship/celebration marking the end of the choir season, takes place mid-May every year. Our choirs, often with guest soloists and instrumentalists, create an unforgettable worship experience. After the service, we serve strawberries and whipped cream in the Memory Garden.
On this Sunday we honor members who have been a part of the church for 50 years or more.
The Founders’ Day service is held on the Sunday closest to Founders’ Day in Greenwich which is July 18. It is a service of reflection on and celebration of the rich history of our church and the community.