Chapel Window 2
Left: In memory of Jeremiah Peck, first settled Pastor of the Church, given by Herbert H. Ferris
Right: In memory of Jeffrey Ferris, Colonist, given by the Ferrises
The building, shown top left, is the meetinghouse built in 1694. “A church ought to be set like a biblical city on a hill,” said the church fathers, so a church building was laid out on the rise of ground overlooking the valley at the intersection, which is now Lockwood Avenue and Tomac Avenue.
Jeremiah Peck (1623 – 1699), shown center left, was the Pastor of the our church from 1678 to 1689. The Half-Way Covenant Dispute led to the resignation of Mr. Peck. The difference of opinion concerned infant baptism, as seen in the bottom left window. This covenant was passed by the General Assembly in 1669 and was a compromise which allowed the baptism of children of baptized parents who had never fully united with the church. Mr. Peck felt this was a relaxing of standards with an inferior class of church membership and refused to accept this compromise. Consequently, he was unacceptable to seven or more Quaker families who lived in Greenwich and refused to pay their share of the minister’s salary. He was given 40 acres of land, but he felt discredited and left for Waterbury, where he was the first minister.
The Reverend Doctor Abraham Pierson (1641 – 1707), another early pastor of our church (from 1691 – 1694), later became the first rector of Yale College. He is shown at the top of the right window. The seal which is at the top of this window is that of Yale University.
Jeffrey Ferris (1610 – 1666) was a builder and one of the first seven proprietors of the Town of Greenwich. He’s in the center of the right window. He named our town Greenwich. It is not known where he is buried.
At the bottom of this right window is shown Tomac Cemetery, the earliest burying ground in town which is still in existence. It is now called the Tomac Historic Burying Ground. The earliest recorded burial there is dated 1718.